Subscribe with Bloglines Greg's Photo Diary - the 365 project: Is the Sigma 120-400 os any good?

Friday 27 February 2009

Is the Sigma 120-400 os any good?

I would have to say yes. The more I use this lens the more I like it!

Now there are pros and cons to this lens.

It is big and quite heavy. Lugging this bad boy around all day puts some stress on the neck. I am definitely going to invest in a better strap than the free nikon one that came with the camera - any suggestions welcomed.

It is not a super fast lens and in low light but still preforms pretty well. I have read reviews where people say it tracks badly, but I haven't noticed it. I guess it would not work well for indoor or night time sporting events under poor light. However, In full sunlight it is pretty good. Saying that, this lion was taken in poor light and the lens did behave quite well.




I took the following picture of a dragon fly in full sunlight. Now getting a shot of a dragon fly is never easy at the best of times. It took ages to get this shot, but not bad at 400mm.



It preforms well as a telephoto as the following moon shot and Lilac Breasted Roller show. The OS system, although quite noisy and sometimes a bit rough works very well.





Not great for macro or close ups, but not terrible.

Check these out!




Anyway, I hope this helps you if you are making a decision to buy this great lens.

G

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this. I've been looking at this lens and I think I'll go for it!

Anonymous said...

You asked for suggestions regarding a good strap. Take a look at the "Y-Strap" (http://figitalrevolution.com/y-strap/). I use it with my D300 and 70-300 VR lens - simply the best strap I've ever used.

abby in vegas said...

my son plays youth football and about half of the games are night games. last year i took pictures with my 18-135 f/4.5 and needless to say it was hard to get a good shot in those evening games. i am scared to spend $8-900 on this lens and have this problem. not sure if i should try and save more for a faster apeture, but then i think should i be spending this much for youth football games..? somebody help!

Greg Smith said...

Hi Abby in vegas. You have to accept this lens for what it is and the f4.5 at best is not ideal for sport under lights. I photographed my brother playing football under lights -albeit poor lights - and didn't manage to get anything decent. The video on the d90 with this lens worked quite well however. For shooting in good light this is excellent. The photo's of the cricket were of an international match played at a top class venue with excellent lighting and it preformed alright. I was using the lens at 400mm so probably at f5.6. Don't know if this helps but anyway, thanks for reading.