Subscribe with Bloglines Greg's Photo Diary - the 365 project: How not to break your lens, soak your camera, break a vase!

Monday 2 February 2009

How not to break your lens, soak your camera, break a vase!

So, sunday was a quite afternoon after a hard mornings packing up for our move next week. I am quite excited about the move as we are moving into a two bed flat in the city of london. It has awesome views - to be photographed later - and an extra bedroom, which is going to double as my "studio".

Anyway, on Sunday evening as the snow started to fall over South West London, I took the opportunity to set up my tripod and do some macro work. I got the nikon D90 on my new Monfrotto tripod - which is great by the way - and attached my nikon 18-105mm vr. I have a set of +1, +2, +4 and +10 screw on macro lenses which I made use of in various combinations.

I switched off the overhead lights and just used an adjustable spotlight to light my subject - a vase of flowers from Sainsbury's. If you are planning on giving this a go I suggest the wireless remote for the nikon d90.

The two shots at the bottom are two of the shots I managed to get. The rest weren't that great!

Anyway, I was packing up, and as I was unscrewing the macro lens, I fumbled and dropped it on the floor with an almighty crack. Not great!!!

In my rush to pick it up, I managed to bump my tripod, camera still attached. It fell over, crashing into the vase, which fell over onto the table, spilling water on my remote and on my camera.

I am happy to say, I was able to repair the lens, and dry off the camera and remote. Everything is working, but I am yet to test the remote. Fingers crossed.

Moral of the story, hold on to your lenses!


No comments: